2009-02-02

Wiring my phone system over Ethernet cabling

In our house i have run a number of Ethernet cables around for future expansion and for easy access.  However I had not quite finished all the wiring.  Anyway I need to move the phone (UK) from one room to another and was going to do it via the Ethernet cabling.  However I have forgotten the wiring for the phone.

So I have just summarised here the various connections:

Ethernet comes in two standard wiring patterns T568A (US govt standard and T568B AT&T standard).  I was going to choose the A version until I check some of my patch cables which were T-568B.  See incentre links:

image

From Zytrax I got an example wiring pattern for telephone links:

Pin number   Strand colour Name
1 Tip white & orange LAN (TX_D1+)
2 Ring orange LAN (TX_D1-)
3 Tip white & green LAN (RX_D2+)
4 Ring blue Telephone 1
5 Tip white & blue Telephone 1
6 Ring green LAN (RX_D2-)
7 Tip white & brown Telephone 2
8 Ring brown Telephone 2

(Tip and Ring comes from TRS Tip Ring Sleeve eg old telephone jacks) and I just need some standard BT wiring pattern for the UK standard 6 pin connector with 5 and 2 the normal for the wiring (but not master extension):

image

1 comment:

Avaya said...

Ethernet is the least expensive high speed LAN alternative. They transmit and receive data at speeds of 10 million bits per second through up to 300 feet of telephone wire to a hub device normally stacked in a wiring closet. Thanks a lot.

Telephone Wiring