2009-01-19

Getting Python to work

I have been investigating Python as I thought it might have a slightly simpler syntax from Ruby (I am finding it takes time to switch syntax from Mathematica, C#, VB etc) , be more better supported on .NET eg IronPython ahead of IronRuby and better scientific support and some work done on creating an interactive platform like Mathematica/Matlab. Enthought has a prepackaged Scientific distribution.

Anyway just to say not quite as good as I hoped in that Python is the middle of a big change in syntax from 2.x to 3.x, IronPython wont install on my server and it seems to work slightly differently on different computers when driving Excel.

After playing and buying a number of tools the free ActiveState Python distribution seems to work ok. The only snag I have found so far is that the PythonWin debugger really needs to be killed and restarted to work well if you are debugging.

2 comments:

Michael Foord said...

Hmm... you seem to be making things more complex than they need to be.

There are some *fairly* big changes between Python 2.x and .x - but that shouldn't be an issue at all. Python 2.x is still being developed and will be supported for many years - just stick with that for the moment.

As for a debugger - what is wrong with pdb?

RubyPane said...

Hi Michael Thanks - I am probably wallowing. However I am now getting productive use out of it. I like my windowing interface - spoilt with Turbo Pascal's IDE